2018-2019 Matching Grant
We are happy to announce that ACF received a matching grant from the Funders for LGBTQ Issues. All new and increased donations made to our LGBTQ Fund will be matched!
This is an excellent opportunity for us to increase our grantmaking to match the needs of our Central Appalachian LGBTQ community.
If you haven’t done so already, please consider making a gift to our LGBTQ Fund.
The LGBTQ Fund (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning) was established in 2006 to develop and strengthen resources for LGBTQ organizing efforts in Central Appalachian communities. This Initiative is designed to support LGBTQ organizational building, strengthening Lesbian and Gay Community institutional resources, and capacity building for LGBTQ organizing efforts.
ACF also seeks applications from new and emerging organizations, work with LGBTQ youth, and networking efforts to connect LGBTQ work throughout Central Appalachia.
You may complete your application electronically in Microsoft Word or converted to a PDF. You may also print it and complete it by typewriter. When submitting your application electronically, please include “LGBTQ Request” in the subject line. For those mailing your application, please send the original and five copies of the completed application form.
We will acknowledge receipt of your application. Final reports from previous ACF grants must be submitted before any future grants are accepted and monies are released.
Proposals are reviewed by a panel and rated according to the criteria. You will receive notification via email or mail, depending on how you submitted your proposal, within two months.
As ACF is continuing to grow and add resources to the LGBTQ Fund, we will only be making two or three grants per year.
501(c)(3) tax exempt status or 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsorship is not required in order to receive ACF funding through the LGBTQ Fund. However, if you do not have non-profit status, it would be helpful if you would call and talk with us about it and your intent to apply.
The organization or project must be in Appalachian counties of Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, or West Virginia. If the applicant organization is based outside the region, the proposal must include a specific work plan for the Appalachian portion of the work.
The organization or project must show evidence of working for social change through one or more of the following:
- Organizing and action led by people working to control their own lives.
- Educating communities about the root causes of oppression and injustice.
- Eliminating barriers to full participation in society (i e. racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, ageism, able-ism, and exclusion from decision-making processes).
- Focusing on efforts to change cultural, social, political, and economic systems and institutions that accommodate and perpetuate social injustice.
- Creating and modeling democratic cultural, social, political and economic systems.
- Connecting local issues with national and global concerns.
- Networking, collaborating, and cooperating with other change agents working toward similar goals.
Organizations may apply for up to $2,000. Grant awards must be used within one calendar year. A report on how grant funds were used is required at the end of the funded year.
As ACF is continuing to grow and add resources to the LGBTQ Initiative Fund, we will only be making 2 or 3 grants per year.
Proposals are accepted anytime. Each request will be considered on an individual basis. Proposals are reviewed by a panel. Please allow two months to process. We will acknowledge receipt of your proposal.
ACF Does Not Fund:
- Profit-making organizations
- Electoral lobbying for initiatives or public office
- Individual efforts
- Major capital projects
- Social services organizations unless they demonstrate some analysis and strategies to challenge the systems that lead to the problem
As you prepare your application, we encourage you to review the following:
If you have additional questions or need more information, please contact Margo Miller at 865-523-5783 or email@example.com.